Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Cows of the Sky, Littlefield, Texas

Saturday, 28 November 2009

If they call the pilots flying the gliders cowboys, then I will call the gliders cows!

1st time I saw gliders was at the visit at the Southwest Soaring Museum in New Mexico.
I was amazed by the different types of sailplanes and gliders there.

Today I thought I decided to tag along Mike since I have never been to Littlefield (Texas). And I am glad I did because I learnt a little more about gliders.

Littlefield Municipal Airport


Caprock Soaring Club




The glider for the afternoon flying


One of the 2 most common ways of launching the planes - winching. Can you see the wire cable? If not, click on the picture to magnify



The gliders were now in the air. This afternoon they only soared for a few minutes. That I understood because of the lack of strong thermal.


I thought it was like flying a paper kite - the paper kite representing the glider.

Another method of launching is the aerotowing, whereby the glider is launched by a powered aircraft.



Someone asked if I would like to go for a ride in the glider. Maybe I would one day.

No comments: